Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Part 13 - I am baptized in Jesus name because Jesus is the One that was crucified for me

Part 13 - I am baptized in Jesus name because Jesus is the One that was crucified for me.

 

Paul the Apostle wrote to the church in Corinth:

 

"For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you. Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ." - 1 Corinthians 1:11-12 KJV [I am a follower of Paul, I follow Apollos, I follow Peter, I follow Christ]

 

Paul asked them,

 

"Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?" - 1 Corinthians 1:13 KJV

 

"I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius; lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name. And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not [I don’t remember] whether I baptized any other." - 1 Corinthians 1:14-16 KJV

 

"For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect." - 1 Corinthians 1:17 KJV

 

We know Paul or Silas baptized the jailor and his household in Philippi. (Acts 16:29, 32-33). We also know Paul baptized about 12 men at Ephesus. (Acts 19:1, 5-7).

 

While we see that Paul DID baptize, his CALLING was to preach the gospel. Before the household of the Philippian jailer was baptized, Paul FIRST preached the gospel to them. When Paul baptized the 12 men at Ephesus, he FIRST preached the gospel to them.

 

Paul makes it clear, the one we are to be baptized in the name of is Jesus! We are to be baptized in the ONE that was crucified for us, Jesus Christ.

 

"Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost." - Acts 2:38 KJV


No comments:

Post a Comment