Wednesday, July 27, 2022

John the Baptist - Prepare ye the way of the LORD... a highway for our God

 

                                        


John's baptism is the first baptism mentioned in the New Testament because God sent John to prepare the way of His coming. John the Baptist did this by preaching and baptizing the baptism of repentance. John the Baptist’s message is that we need to prepare the way for Jesus in our life by turning from our sins and turning to God. His baptism, however, was strictly for preparation for Jesus. When Jesus was revealed as the Christ at His baptism, John the Baptist’s ministry was accomplished.

"And as John fulfilled his course, he said, Whom think ye that I am? I am not he. But, behold, there cometh one after me, whose shoes of his feet I am not worthy to loose." - Acts 13:25 KJV

Isaiah prophesied of the mission of John the Baptist: to prepare the way of the LORD God - Jesus Christ.

"The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God. Every valley shall be exalted, and every mountain and hill shall be made low: and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough places plain: And the glory of the LORD shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it." - Isaiah 40:3-5 KJV

"I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:" - Matthew 3:11 KJV

Before Jesus could pour out the Holy Ghost, it was necessary that He die for the sins of the world. Only Jesus, the Creator of the universe revealed in flesh, could pay the requirement of a sinless, holy sacrifice, which was the price for our sins. Jesus is the Lamb of God, the perfect, holy sacrifice of the Father Himself revealed in a human body.

"The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world. This is he of whom I said, After me cometh a man which is preferred before me: for he was before me. And I knew him not: but that he should be made manifest to Israel, therefore am I come baptizing with water." - John 1:29-31 KJV



No comments:

Post a Comment