Friday, October 22, 2021

Jesus our Comforter - Our Defense Attorney


"But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:" - John 15:26

"I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you." - John 14:18 KJV

Satan wants us to face justice for our past. We call him “the accuser of the brethren.”

"And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night." - Revelation 12:10 KJV

Jews have a similar word for Satan. “Satan” is Hebrew for “Prosecutor.” (Chabad.org).

This is where it gets interesting.  According to Thayer’s Greek Lexicon, one of the meanings of “Comforter” is “Defense Attorney,” or “Counsel for Defense.”

Jesus said, "I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you." (John 14:18).  According to Thayer’s, the meaning of “comfortless” is “orphan.” It appears Jesus is saying, I will not leave you defenseless: I will come to you. I am your Defense Attorney when Satan the Prosecutor accuses you.

Satan wants justice. He wants a person to pay the price of their sin. Our brethren - those that have obeyed the gospel by repenting of their sins, had their sins forgiven by the blood of Jesus by baptism in the name of Jesus, and have received the gift of the Holy Ghost - Satan still accuses. Satan brings up our sins from our past.

This is where Jesus defends us as the Comforter – our Defense Attorney.

The Holy Ghost – Jesus in us as the Comforter - our Counsel for Defense - "pleads the blood" reminding Satan that our sins are forgiven by the blood of Jesus so he has nothing to accuse us with!

No comments:

Post a Comment