Tuesday, May 30, 2017


“Shavuot” is the Hebrew word for Feast of Weeks. In the New Testament, the Feast of Weeks is called Pentecost. Shavuot is a holy day that commemorates the giving of the Law to the Jewish people on Mt. Sinai. It begins this year on Tuesday May 30th at sunset, and concludes at sunset on Thursday June 1st.  It is one of the three holy days that God commanded all Jewish males to present themselves before the Temple in Jerusalem.

"Three times in a year shall all thy males appear before the LORD thy God in the place which he shall choose; in the feast of unleavened bread, and in the feast of weeks, and in the feast of tabernacles: and they shall not appear before the LORD empty:" - Deuteronomy 16:16 KJV

On Shavuot the Ten Commandments are read in synagogues, just as they were read in the desert on Mt. Sinai over 3,300 years ago. Shavuot is celebrated by staying up all night to learn Torah. The Torah is the Jewish Bible. It is what we call the Old Testament. Torah can also mean the first five books of what we call the Old Testament.

Sages compare “Shavuot” to a wedding oath between God and the Jewish people. The Jews consider this day as their marriage to God.

"And Moses went up unto God, and the LORD called unto him out of the mountain, saying, Thus shalt thou say to the house of Jacob, and tell the children of Israel; ye have seen what I did unto the Egyptians, and how I bare you on eagles' wings, and brought you unto myself. Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine: and ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel." - Exodus 19:3-6 KJV

"And Moses came and called for the elders of the people, and laid before their faces all these words which the LORD commanded him. And all the people answered together, and said, All that the LORD hath spoken we will do. And Moses returned the words of the people unto the LORD." - Exodus 19:7-8 KJV

Israel’s response is compared to the oath of a bride to a groom when she says, “I do.” The Jewish people responded, “We will do.”

God often referred to Himself as Israel’s Husband, and considered her as His wife.

"Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:" - Jeremiah 31:31-32 KJV

"Turn, O backsliding children, saith the LORD; for I am married unto you: and I will take you one of a city, and two of a family, and I will bring you to Zion:" - Jeremiah 3:14 KJV

"For thy Maker is thine husband; the LORD of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called." - Isaiah 54:5 KJV

No comments:

Post a Comment