Friday, January 20, 2017


The Face of God
There is a chorus, Oh, I want to see Him, look upon His face…
We look forward to heaven and looking upon the face of our Savior Jesus. Within this song and within the Bible, we find there is a deeper meaning "to look upon His face."
Jacob spoke of the face of God when his brother Esau was on his way to meet him, coming against him. God gave Jacob favor and mercy after Jacob “wrestled a man” through the night until the man blessed him.
"And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel (“the face of God”): for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved." - Genesis 32:30
The Bible says of Moses:
"And the LORD spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend." - Exodus 33:11a
The priestly blessing includes these words:
"The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:" - Numbers 6:25
The Bible speaks of God’s favor towards Israel:
"And they will tell it to the inhabitants of this land: for they have heard that thou LORD art among this people, that thou LORD art seen face to face, and that thy cloud standeth over them, and that thou goest before them, by day time in a pillar of a cloud, and in a pillar of fire by night." - Numbers 14:14
When God hides His face, it is in anger and forsaking.
David pleaded with God to not hide His face from him. Above all, David wanted God’s love, favor, and mercy:
"Hide not thy face far from me; put not thy servant away in anger: thou hast been my help; leave me not, neither forsake me, O God of my salvation." - Psalm 27:9
God spoke of His response to Israel when they would forsake Him and break their covenant with Him:
"Then my anger shall be kindled against them in that day, and I will forsake them, and I will hide my face from them, and they shall be devoured, and many evils and troubles shall befall them…And I will surely hide my face in that day for all the evils which they shall have wrought, in that they are turned unto other gods." - Deuteronomy 31:17-18
"I will scatter them as with an east wind before the enemy; I will shew them the back, and not the face, in the day of their calamity." - Jeremiah 18:17
When God came in the form of man in the name of Jesus, He brought mercy. We find glory in His face:
"For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ." - 2 Corinthians 4:6
Those that look upon the face of Jesus in heaven are in God’s Mercy.
"And there shall be no more curse: but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and his servants shall serve him: And they shall see his face; and his name shall be in their foreheads." - Revelation 22:3-4
We will look upon his face - there to sing forever of His saving grace. On the streets of glory let me lift my voice - cares all past, home at last, ever to rejoice!

No comments:

Post a Comment