Monday, April 1, 2019


Follow Jesus

Matthew 16:21 KJV - "From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day."

Peter did not understand Jesus’ mission. Peter only understood the value of our physical life and a human kingdom. Peter rebuked Jesus.

Matthew 16:22 KJV - "Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee."

Jesus made it very clear to Peter that he was being a tool of satan. Peter was trying to stop Jesus from accomplishing His mission to bring salvation and the kingdom of God to mankind. This could only be accomplished by Jesus’ death, burial, and resurrection. Jesus thus revealed His gospel that would bring peace between Him and man. By His death, Jesus would destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil.

Matthew 16:23 KJV - "But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men."

Peter, at this point, only understood an earthly kingdom. Jesus was trying to make His disciples understand what it would take to bring about and become part of the kingdom of God.

Matthew 16:24 KJV - "Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

The kingdom of God required death. It required the actual death of Jesus on the cross to pay the price of our sins. For us, it would take death to sin, crucifying our old sinful nature. If I hold on to my own selfish will, my life is unfulfilling, without purpose, and empty. When I surrender my life to God’s will, my life is full. By my death to sin, I find life in His Spirit.

Matthew 16:25 KJV - "For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it."

The world may be enticing, but its rewards are temporal. If I want victory over sin and death, I must deny my desire for the pleasures of sin, and let Jesus rule my life.

Matthew 16:26 KJV - "For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?"
Our soul is eternal. In the kingdom of God, there is righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.

Matthew 16:27 KJV - "For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works."

In my covenant with Jesus, I take His name in water baptism. I forsake the world and pledge my faithfulness to follow only Him. Jesus’ promise to me is He is always with me, even unto the end of the world. (Acts 2:38).

Matthew 28:20 KJV - "Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment